If it excites you to follow your passion in an environment where work and play mingle, check out our job openings and consider joining our team to make a positive difference in our community.
Team members are laid back but very talented, professional, and most of all, we like to have fun at work!
Our strength comes from our gifted employees who excel through teamwork and enthusiasm. They are dedicated to making a positive difference in our community now and for future generations.
We provide a competitive compensation and benefits package, challenging careers, advancement potential, and a safe, stable, and exciting work environment surrounded by red rocks in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Traffic Control Assistants
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$15.00/hour
- Posted Date:03/08/2018
- Deadline to Apply:03/30/2018
Come join our team and work in beautiful Uptown Sedona!
Traffic Control Assistants work primarily in beautiful Uptown Sedona and assist with directing traffic and visitor questions. This permanent position provides the selected candidate the opportunity to interact with pedestrians, assist with directions, monitor parking and traffic situations, and offer guidance to our many tourists.
Shifts for Traffic Control Assistants are mainly on Fridays through Sundays and possibly Mondays during a holiday weekend.
This part-time job is perfect for those looking for a few extra hours on the weekend! Traffic Control Assistants will work from 12 to 19 hours per week on average.
The City will provide flagger training, uniforms, and necessary gear.
To actively support and assist the City of Sedona in maintaining traffic control in the Uptown area and other areas of the city as assigned. Work independently or part of a traffic control crew. Perform a variety of duties including directing vehicle and pedestrian traffic, setting up traffic control devices and/or other duties as a signed.
- Performs traffic and pedestrian control in Uptown area and other areas of the city as needed.
- Promotes community relations by routinely communicating with citizens, tourists, and with other team members.
- Assists the general public, provides directions and responds to questions and inquiries.
- Contributes to effective city operations by performing other duties as assigned.
- Drive department trucks as needed.
- Lift, carry, and place traffic cones to ensure the safety of work zones.
- Follow company policies and safety regulations at all times.
- Ability to direct traffic effectively.
- Knowledge of Uptown business district including streets and parking facilities.
- Ability to respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work including city staff and the general public.
- Ability to work effectively in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of equipment and tools used in parking enforcement.
- Knowledge of public relations principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Ability to provide high level of customer service.
- Ability to arrive for scheduled work assignment on-time.
- Ability to effectively manage work zones and stations.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Ability to work varying shifts, weekends, and/or nights.
- Ability to work successfully while exposed to moving vehicles and outside weather conditions.
Ability to perform moderate physical work and to lift and carry up 25 pounds regularly and occasionally 50 pounds.
Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions.
Ability to stand and/or walk for long periods of time, in various weather conditions and different times of day/night.
Maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned duties.
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities.
Maintain a consistent and unrelenting focus on safety throughout all job functions.
Ability to recognize dangers using hearing and vision.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINE
No experience necessary, will train. Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or general education degree (GED), experience in traffic control or a customer service related field desirable.
High school students are welcome to apply.
Develop superior knowledge of work zone setup and Professional Flagging responsibilities. Additional specialized training may be provided.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of an appropriate Flaggers Certification acquired within two months of hire.
Exposure to traffic noise, blowing dust, vehicle fumes and inclement weather.
Hours per week will vary on the city’s work schedule based on tourist seasons.
Arizona State Retirement benefits may be activated if the employee is hired to work more than twenty hours per week.
For every thirty hours worked, one hour of PTO time is allotted.
How to Apply:To apply for this job opportunity, please click here.
928-203-5038 or 203-5189
City of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
The City of Sedona is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City are based on business needs; job requirements; individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; or any other status protected by law or regulation.
The City of Sedona is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or veteran status as it relates to employment or programs and activities.
Applications and resumes. Applications and resumes are accepted only when there is a job opening. An online application must be submitted electronically to Human Resources and applicants may attached a cover letter and/or resume with the online application.
Employment opportunities. Please note that many positions include a supplemental questionnaire with job-specific questions. Applications submitted without a supplemental questionnaire (if available) will be considered incomplete. Resumes and other supplemental material may be uploaded and attached to the online application.
Background check. All new hires are required to be fingerprinted and undergo an extensive criminal background check through the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Additionally, certain positions involve a preemployment drug screening and may include a physical.
Future positions. If you would like to be notified of job openings in the future, please sign up for email notifications.
Right to Work
The city of Sedona participates in E-Verify provides the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.