- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:Negotiable DOQ
- Posted Date:12/04/2017
- Deadline to Apply:01/14/2018
Come join our team and work and live in one of the most beautiful places on earth!
The Plans Examiner performs highly skilled, technical reviews of both simple and complex building construction and improvements within the City for compliance with the adopted building, mechanical, plumbing and electrical codes and related ordinances and laws, provides technical and administrative assistance to the Chief Building Official relative to assigned area of responsibility; may be assigned to building inspection and/or customer service counter as needed.
- Review construction drawings, specifications structural calculations and related documents for residential, commercial, industrial and other types of development projects and improvements throughout the City within specified City and State regulations.
- Identify construction, plan, code and regulatory deficiencies; prepare plan review correction lists of all deficient, incomplete or incorrect items and perform rechecks of corrected, revised plans and documents to ensure compliance with adopted building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical and related codes and ordinances prior to permit issuance.
- Works with Chief Building Official to coordinate permit reviews, corrections and approvals with other City departments and outside agencies having project jurisdiction prior to final permit approval and permit issuance to ensure complete approval and compliance with all adopted and required codes, ordinances and statutes.
- Coordinates plan review with third party review agencies as necessary to review final permit approval and permit issuance to ensure complete approval and compliance with all adopted and required codes, ordinances, and statutes.
- Determines, calculates and documents all building permit, plan review and other related building fees in accordance with adopted ordinances, policy and procedure.
- Responds to, investigates and resolves inquiries, complaints, violations and technical code applications independently or with little supervision or assistance; issues correction notices and stop work orders; confers with and advises the Chief Building Official of complex or sensitive problems involving plan review, code enforcement activities or administrative issues; refers unresolved violations or issues to the Chief Building Official.
- Responds to and provides information to the public, contractors, architects, designers and homeowners regarding building codes and related regulations and ordinances; interprets and explains building code requirements consistent with City policy and procedure; recommends or offers solutions to technical problems or issues to ensure compliance with adopted codes and ordinances.
- Maintains accurate records of plan reviews performed, plan and application deficiencies, corrective action, information or data required; writes correction and deficiency notices in a clear, concise and understandable manner.
- Prioritizes and organizes own work and assigned tasks for completion in order to best meet the City and customer service goals in accordance with City and state and federal regulations.
- Periodically tracks expiring permit applications; mails notices of pending expiration or personally contacts permit applicants; investigates unissued permits to determine status; closes out expired applications.
- Performs a variety of clerical duties.
- Maintains permit application files, plans and other related documents; after permit approval prepares permit, files and approved plans for issuance.
- Demonstrates ability to work in organized team efforts and assist in problem solving work related issues for continuous improvement in work efforts.
- Provides backup front counter coverage as necessary.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required or otherwise assigned.
Click here for the full job description.
The City of Sedona offers a competitive benefit package that includes:
• Arizona State Retirement System
• 100% City-paid health, dental and vision coverage for employee
• Substantial contributions to health, dental and vision coverage for dependents
• City provided $50,000 group term life insurance
• Short-term disability
• Ninety-six hours of PTO time
• Generous vacation accrual rates
• Eleven paid holidays
• Deferred compensation – Optional IRS 457 plans
• Wellness programs
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this outstanding job opportunity, please click here.
CONTACT INFORMATIONCity of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
928-203-5038 or 203-5189
The City of Sedona is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City are based on business needs; job requirements; individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; or any other status protected by law or regulation.
The City of Sedona is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or veteran status as it relates to employment or programs and activities.
Applications and resumes. Applications and resumes are accepted only when there is a job opening. An online application must be submitted electronically to Human Resources and applicants may attached a cover letter and/or resume with the online application.
Employment opportunities. Please note that many positions include a supplemental questionnaire with job-specific questions. Applications submitted without a supplemental questionnaire (if available) will be considered incomplete. Resumes and other supplemental material may be uploaded and attached to the online application.
Background check. All new hires are required to be fingerprinted and undergo an extensive criminal background check through the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Additionally, certain positions involve a preemployment drug screening and may include a physical.
Future positions. If you would like to be notified of job openings in the future, please sign up for email notifications.
Right to Work
The city of Sedona participates in E-Verify provides the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.