IT Network Engineer
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:up to $83,657/annually DOQ
- Posted Date:10/09/2017
- Deadline to Apply:10/29/2017
Come join our team!
The City of Sedona is seeking applicants for the position of IT Network Engineer.
The Network Engineer designs, configures, documents, and installs network systems, infrastructure, computer systems, and servers, including LAN/WAN voice and data. Assists City staff with operation, troubleshooting, repair, updates and maintenance when needed.
1. Administer the City’s data, voice and network technology including servers, hardware and software; local and wide-area network configurations; email systems; site security (including firewalls, intrusion detection, anti-virus); telephonic systems (including telephones, voicemail, and cell phones).
2. Monitor the log files of existing systems and recommend upgrades or modifications as needed; configure, install, and update new or existing server systems and/or client hardware and software as needed.
3. Install, configure, and maintain router and switch technology.
4. Maintain, replace, and upgrade computer hardware and software.
5. Maintain inventory of hardware, and software.
6. Install, configure, test, and troubleshoot system configuration for optimization; analyze system problems; make modifications to systems as needed.
7. Coordinate with product vendors to acquire pricing information and product specifications in ordering of software and hardware products.
8. Complete regular and daily backups of all of the City’s servers file systems; restore files from backups when needed; perform periodic purges of temporary and outdated files from the network servers file systems as required.
9. Work courteously with customers in situations that require tact and diplomacy in order to identify and resolve technical issues.
10. Coordinate and monitor work performed by vendors and contractors.
11. Communicate with support technicians and technical consultants when outside system analysis or repair intervention is necessary.
12. Recommend procedural or operational changes or improvements to reduce problems and increase productivity.
13. Maintain Help Desk database logging requests for service, interactions with clients, and problem resolutions.
14. Participate in IT and user training and orientation of new or modified computer applications, hardware or procedures.
15. Keep aware of new technology relative to the City’s needs; research and analyze IT related systems; evaluate new products for compatibility with the existing system.
16. Work in organized team efforts and assist in problem solving work related issues for continuous improvement.
17. Manage and coordinate a variety of highly technical concurrent projects in a timely manner.
18. Adhere to pertinent federal, state and local codes, laws and regulations.
19. Meet scheduling, performance, and attendance requirements.
20. Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
• Installation, configuration, and operation of Microsoft Windows server and client operating systems.
• Installation, configuration, and operation of E-Mail systems in use by the City.
• Installation, configuration, and operation of server OS technologies in use by the City.
• Installation, configuration, and operation network routers, switches, firewalls, IP phone systems, and related equipment in use by the City.
• In-depth knowledge of network protocols, including, but not limited to Ethernet, frame relay, TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, SNMP.
• Server and client hardware configurations and maintenance.
• Server virtualization.
• Hardware and software troubleshooting techniques, problem identification and resolution.
• Pertinent federal, state and local codes, laws and regulations.
• Fault tolerance and server clustering design, RAID theory and configurations, SAN theory.
• LAN/WAN systems, network security, SAN, and clustering technologies.
• Current industry trends, principles, and best practices in network and client/server architecture.
• Manage, monitor, and maintain the City’s computers.
• Troubleshoot hardware and software problems and provide solutions.
• Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Effectively transition work activities from major projects to immediate fixes as needed.
• Work in organized team efforts and assist in problem solving issues for continuous improvement.
• Encourage and facilitate environment for building team efforts and problem solving of work related issues.
• Continually learn and demonstrate new skills.
• Perform on-call duties as needed.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING GUIDELINES
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
High School Diploma or GED plus six (6) years’ experience with LAN/WAN systems (Cisco or HP firewall, VPN, router and switch technologies), network security, SAN, clustering technologies and Microsoft server products, plus industry certifications in Microsoft Office 365, MTA Networking Fundamentals, MTA Server Admin, MTA OS Fundamentals, Network+, Security+, Server +, A+, or related certifications
OR four years’ experience with LAN/WAN systems (Cisco or HP firewall, VPN, router and switch technologies), network security, SAN, clustering technologies and Microsoft server products, plus a Technical Certification in Information Technology or related field from an accredited college or university
OR two years’ experience with LAN/WAN systems (Cisco or HP firewall, VPN, router and switch technologies), network security, SAN, clustering technologies and Microsoft server products, plus an Associate’s Degree in Information Technology or related field from an accredited college or university
OR Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Quantitative Systems, Electrical Engineering, or a related field from an accredited college or university.
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
• MCSA Office 365 Certification
• CCNA certificate or higher
• MCSE certification
• SSCP or CISSP certificate
• Spillman experience
• AZ DPS systems
License or Certification:
• Ability to obtain TOC Level D Certification (training and testing provided by the City).
• Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Arizona driver’s license within two months of hire.
Office environment; travel from site to site; exposure to computer screens, potential exposure to electric power sources; occasional after-hours and weekend work may be required.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time; light to moderate lifting; general manual dexterity.
The City of Sedona offers a competitive benefit package that includes:
• Arizona State Retirement System
• 100% City-paid health, dental and vision coverage for employee
• Substantial contributions to health, dental and vision coverage for dependents
• City provided $50,000 group term life insurance
• Short-term disability
• Ninety-six hours of PTO time
• Generous vacation accrual rates
• Eleven paid holidays
• Deferred compensation – Optional IRS 457 plans
• Wellness programs
• Three day weekends – 4/10 work schedule
HOW TO APPLY
Click here to apply.
City of Sedona
102 Roadrunner Drive
928.203.5038 or 203.5189
The City of Sedona is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at the City are based on business needs; job requirements; individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status; past or present military service; or any other status protected by law or regulation.
The City of Sedona is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or veteran status as it relates to employment or programs and activities.
Applications and resumes. Applications and resumes are accepted only when there is a job opening. An online application must be submitted electronically to Human Resources and applicants may attached a cover letter and/or resume with the online application.
Employment opportunities. Please note that many positions include a supplemental questionnaire with job-specific questions. Applications submitted without a supplemental questionnaire (if available) will be considered incomplete. Resumes and other supplemental material may be uploaded and attached to the online application.
Background check. All new hires are required to be fingerprinted and undergo an extensive criminal background check through the Arizona Department of Public Safety. Additionally, certain positions involve a preemployment drug screening and may include a physical.
Future positions. If you would like to be notified of job openings in the future, please sign up for email notifications.
Right to Work
The city of Sedona participates in E-Verify provides the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.