The Sedona area's earliest schools were built and run by residents without government support. The first school was a one-room building at the Schuerman property on Lower Red Rock Loop Road in 1892. Olive Welch was the teacher and there were seven children.
In 1899, a one-room log school became the first in Oak Creek Canyon. In the early days, some ranchers and USFS employees migrated to high country and up the canyon in summer. In the winter they moved back to Red Rock so the children could attend school. By 1912 the Sedona area had enough students to merit a third school. The land for the Brewer School was leased from homesteader Frank Owenby. This building was expanded in 1930 to three rooms with an auditorium and a bathroom with indoor plumbing.
Brewer Road School - 1930s (burned down)
Sedona had no high school. Yavapai County students went to Cottonwood, and Coconino students were bused up the icy switchbacks to Flagstaff. By special act of the state legislature, Sedonans were able to vote for their own school district, and in 1995 the Sedona Red Rock High School opened to students.