Economic Development



Whether you are starting a new business or expanding your existing business, this is the place to start. Your business is important to our community, and we want to work with you to make sure your business succeeds. There are a number of steps a business owner must take before opening for business.
Call us. We're here to help.

The following is a summary of the permits and licenses that are required to open a business and some that may be required depending on the situation. Some permits and license require the payment of a fee ($). See the Fees webpage for the current City rates.

• Business License ($)
Tenant Occupancy Permit ($)  
Fire Safety Inspection
Sign Permit ($)
Certificate of Occupancy 
Tenant Improvement Permit ($)
Liquor License ($)
Health Permit  

Contact:    City of Sedona Finance Department, 928-204-7185, Email:
City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona in Building 106
Businesses operating within the City limits, including businesses operated out of a home, must have a current business license issued by the City of Sedona. The annual fee for a license is $25.00. For additional information or questions on how to apply for a new business license or to renew your business license, go to: Business License

Contact:    City of Sedona Community Development Department, 928-282-1154. 
City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona in building 104.
Please call Community Development (928-282-1154) before you decide where to locate your business. Commercial properties are zoned for different types of businesses and it is important to know the allowable uses and restrictions of a property before making a decision.


ZONING Determine the zoning for the property. Call us (928-282-1154) or use the GIS Map Viewer on the City’s website.

PARKING The amount of parking you'll be required to provide will be based on the type of business. Certain businesses have minimum parking requirements and some properties may have parking limitations. We can tell you what's required.

WASTEWATER Know the wastewater requirements for your business and the property. Some types of businesses may require additional wastewater capacity. You will need to fill out an application for commercial wastewater service. Call 928-204-7205, or go to: City of Sedona Wastewater Utility Billing Services.

checkbox PERMITS
Contact:    City of Sedona Community Development, 928-282-1154.
You can download permit applications at: Permits. Prior to opening for business, an approved Tenant Occupancy Permit and a Certificate of Occupancy are required.

Tenant Occupancy Permit
This is required for all businesses new to Sedona and businesses that are moving to a new location in the city. The purpose of this permit is to verify that the type of business is an allowed use for the property, that parking is adequate, that the appropriate wastewater fees are paid, and that the building is safe to occupy.

Tenant Improvement Permit
If you are making improvements or alterations to a building, you will need a Tenant Improvement Permit. This is required for any construction, remodeling, or renovations to the interior or exterior of a commercial building.

The City Building Inspector and Fire Marshal (see below) will visit the property and review the building to ensure that it is safe to open for business. After the building passes inspections a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued which will allow you to open for business.

Certificate of Occupancy
This is required to open for business. The City will issue a Certificate of Occupancy after the building passes inspections by the Building Inspector and the Fire Marshal.

Contact:    Sedona Fire District 928-282-6800,
Fire Station 1/District Office: 2860 Southwest Drive, Sedona
New businesses must have a fire inspection completed by the Fire Marshal to ensure that your plans and fire system meet Sedona’s fire code. This applies to new construction, remodels, and renovations of existing business space.

checkbox SIGN PERMIT
Contact:    City of Sedona Community Development 928-282-1154,
City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona Building 104
If you are installing new signs or changing an existing sign, you will need a sign permit. The City’s Sign Regulations are set forth in Article 11 of the Land Development Code which has information on Sedona’s sign standards on placement, colors, materials, and sign type. Please call City Staff at 928-282-1154 when deciding on a sign design for your business before creating the sign!

If your business will be serving food, you will need to meet County health requirements.
• If your business is in Yavapai County, go to Yavapai County Environmental Health for more information. 
• If your business is in Coconino County, contact: Coconino County Public Health Services District, 928-679-7272, 2625 N. King St., Flagstaff.

checkbox UTILITIES
For your convenience, there is a list of utility providers on the City’s Utility webpage.
Wastewater (sewer). Wastewater service in most of Sedona is provided by the City of Sedona Wastewater Department. See the information above about wastewater capacity, and go to: Wastewater Division Regulations.
Water. There are several private companies that provide water services. The Arizona Water Company serves most of Sedona, as well as several other companies such as the Oak Creek Water Company.
Electric and Gas. The provider of electricity throughout Sedona is APS. The natural gas provider is Unisource Energy Services.
Garbage. Trash collection in Sedona is offered by a variety of private companies.

Contact:    City of Sedona Community Development 928-282-1154,
City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona, Building 104
Contact:    Arizona Department of Liquor
If your business will purchase, store, serve, or provide liquor, you will need to be licensed by the State – contact the Arizona Department of Liquor. If you will be holding a special event that will serve liquor, the City requires Special Event Liquor Licenses; see the Special Events Liquor License Permit Policy.

Contact:    City of Sedona Community Development 928-282-1154,
                City Hall, 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona, Building 104
The City’s Land Development Code and the City Code have a variety of regulations that may affect your business. There are standards on building height, landscaping, parking, lighting, and signs. Below are several issues to consider as you prepare to open.

Sedona is a designated International Dark Sky City, and the City’s Outdoor Lighting Code provides standards for outdoor lighting that will be energy efficient and dark sky compliant. If you are replacing a light fixture or installing new lights, refer to Article 9, Section 910 of the Land Development Code for the outdoor lighting standards.

The Sedona community values a quiet environment, especially at night. There are sound level limits for different times of the day which vary by zoning classification (see Chapter 8.25 of the City Code).

A home occupation is a business, profession or other economic activity conducted full- or part-time in the principal residence of the person conducting the business. Please refer to Article 9, Section 915 of the Land Development Code for specific information and regulations.

City of Sedona:
    City Hall: 102 Roadrunner Drive, Sedona
    Finance Department, City Hall Building 106, 928-204-7185 
    Community Development Department, Development Services, City Hall Building 104, 928-282-1154
Sedona Fire District: 928-282-6800, Fire Station 1 (District office), 2860 Southwest Drive
Sedona Chamber of Commerce: 928-204-1123, 45 Sunset Drive; Sedona, AZ 86336

Verde Valley Regional Economic Organization: 928-274-3167, P.O. Box 57, Cottonwood, AZ. 86326
Yavapai Workforce Connection: 928-634-3337, 1500 East Cherry Street, Cottonwood, AZ 86326
Yavapai College Small Business Development Center: 928-776-2008

Arizona Department of Revenue: 800-542-5684, State info on: licensing and taxes
Arizona Commerce Authority: 602-845-1200, 333 N. Central Ave., Suite 1900, Phoenix, AZ 85004