In 1997 the Sedona City Council adopted the Historic Preservation Ordinance, which became Article 15 of the Land Development Code. The Historic Preservation Commission was established to develop and maintain a plan for historic preservation; review applications for designation of properties as Landmarks or Historic Districts; establish and maintain a Historic Property Register; and review applications for Certificate of Appropriateness, which ensures that proposed work on a Historic Landmark is compatible with its historic character.
There are 23 designated City Historic Landmarks in Sedona, four of which are also on the National Register of Historic Places: Jordan Ranch, Sedona Ranger Station, Hart Store, and the Chapel of the Holy Cross. The Historic Landmark Inventory (pdf)provides detailed information on each of the Landmarks.
|The Historic Preservation Ordinance, Article 15 of the Land Development Code,
Landmark Designation Criteria:
1507.03 Landmark Designation Criteria. The Commission shall evaluate each structure, site, building or property within an area that is included in an application and may designate it as a landmark if it is determined to possess integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling and association; and, being at least 50 years old or having achieved significance within the past 50 years if the property is of exceptional importance; and exhibits 1 or more of the following:
A. Association with events that have made significant contributions to the broad patterns of our history; or
B. Association with the lives of persons significant in our past; or
C. Embodiment of distinctive characteristics of a type, period or method of construction, or representing the work of a master, or high artistic values or representing a significant and distinguishable entity whose components may lack individual distinctiveness; or
D. Information important in the understanding of the pre-history or history of our community.