There are 23 designated City Historic Landmarks in the City of Sedona. Four of those are also on the National Register of Historic Places: Jordan Ranch, Sedona Ranger Station, Hart Store, and the Chapel of the Holy Cross. The criteria for Historic Landmark designation are listed in the Historic Preservation Ordinance, Article 15 of the Land Development Code.
Download a summary of all of the City of Sedona Historic Landmarks: Historic Landmarks Inventory (pdf)
City of Sedona Historic Landmarks
Bennett-Purtyman Cabin, 1922, Kachina Drive.
Cabin built by Charles Bennett and Elmer Purtymun for Marvin Bennett on his Grasshopper Flat homestead. The logs were hauled by wagon and team from the Soldiers Wash Basin. In 1963, when the Harmony Hills subdivision was being built, the cabin was moved log by log and reassembled on it current site at the Sedona Charter School. It is Sedona’s oldest log cabin.
Chapel of the Holy Cross, 1956, 780 Chapel Road, National Register
The Chapel of the Holy Cross was designed and built by painter and sculptor Marguerite Brunswig Staude in 1956. The Chapel was built directly into a rock butte and is distinguished by its most prominent feature - a 90-foot high cross that is architecturally integrated and seems to support the structure as it juts out from the rock. The Chapel is owned and maintained by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Phoenix and St. John Vianney Catholic Church of Sedona and is located on leased U.S. Forest Service land.
Cook Cemetery, 1918, 115 Airport Road
Pioneer cemetery first used as a burial site circa 1918 during the Spanish flu epidemic and later made into a formal cemetery by Henry Cook in 1930. Sedona and T.C. Schnebly and their daughter Pearl are buried here as well as members of early pioneer families including Brewer, Cook, Hedges, Parker, Pirtle, Purtymun, Smith, Thomas and Van Deren.
Da Voss-Hawley House, 1940s, 100 El Camino Grande
Kenneth DaVoss bought and sold property during the post WWII real estate ‘boom’ in Sedona. Named “Eagle’s Nest” by second owners, the Roberts family, it was one of the first homes in this part of Grasshopper Flat. The Pete Hawley family bought the home in 1964, and were contributing members of the community. The home is built of indigenous materials.
Doodlebug Ranch, 1936, 10 Ranch House Circle
This land was homesteaded in the late 1800’s by the Chavez family and then by Ira Owenby. The ranch house was built for Ralph and Dudy Thomas in the 1930’s by Roe Smith and Al Nuanez with local river rock in a low, rambling ranch-style form. Tony and Marguerite Staude acquired the ranch in 1941. Marguerite commissioned the design and underwrote the building of the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona in 1956.
Farley Homestead, 1925/1932, 100 Schnebly Hill Road
Portion of original 1908 homestead. The original house burned, but a later house and cabin remain. The context provided by the site may be its most important historic feature.
Gassaway House, c. 1937, 35 Gassaway Place
Part of residential development along Schnebly Hill Road. It is a remarkable example of vernacular red rock construction and architecture with Arts & Crafts and Art Deco influences.
Hart Store, 1926, 100 Brewer Road, National Register
First store in Sedona, built for L. E. "Dad" Hart by Frank Jackson. Part of original commercial center of Sedona - located on original road through town.
George Jordan’s Sales Building, 1939, 479 N SR 89A
Part of farm and orchard development in Sedona. It contributed to local commerce and community reputation as one of the state's best fruit producing areas and tourism area. This building is considered the best remaining example of red sandstone commercial building of the 1930s.
Jordan Ranch, 1931-1947, 735 Jordan Road, National Register
Early farm and orchard development in Sedona. Contributed to local community reputation as one of state's best fruit producing areas. Built in 3 phases, 1931, 1937 & 1947. Good examples of vernacular red rock construction. Now the Sedona Heritage Museum and Park.
Madole House-Pony Soldier, 1962, 130 Pony Soldier Road
Designed and built by local architect Howard Madole. Home displays Madole’s signature elements after his work at Taliesin West including a stone fireplace and stub walls, a sunken living room with unusual angles, 2x4 ceilings, and a long overhanging roof. Home was one of the first built in the Sedona West subdivision and was featured in their marketing.
Nininger House, 1959-60, 39 Meteor Drive
This home was designed for Dr. and Mrs. Nininger in 1959 by Howard Madole and was one of the first homes built in the Oak Creek Knolls subdivision. Dr. Nininger’s professional career was devoted to the study of meteorites and he built and once owned one of the largest collections of meteorites in the world. Madole’s signature design elements are evident in this home and include 2x4s on edge for roofing materials, flared roof-lines, thin edged fascias and large expanses of glass windows.
Owenby Ditch, c. 1880s-early 1900s, multiple
Frank and Nancy Owenby were the first settlers to patent a homestead in Sedona and began work on the Owenby Ditch in 1893. Nine individual properties have been landmarked and the ditch is active. The Owenby Ditch Association was founded in 1904.
Philips, Dorothy House, 1955, 400 Color Cove Road
In 1951, Dorothy Philips purchased 6-acres of land for her retirement home. Miss Philips had been the secretary to Robert T. Wilson, president of La Gloria Corp. in Corpus Christi, Texas. The contemporary home was designed by the Phoenix architectural firm Weaver and Drover and influenced by the Sedona environment.
Pumphouse, USFS, 1935, 251 SR 179, National Register
Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps to serve the Ranger Station, Hart ranch and others. It is one of the best-preserved examples of cobblestone Bungalow design. Remnant of historical area now intruded by commercial development.
Pushmataha Building, 1957 or 1960, 360 Brewer Road
Built in the Old-West style for a museum and named after a Choctaw Chief. “Pushmataha” means “He has won all the honors of his race”. Building is part of story of commercial development in Sedona in the 1960s.
Ranger Station, 1917/1934, 250 Brewer Road, National Register
Residence, 1917. Constructed in a style and of materials representative of the era and government standards. Barn, 1934. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Saddlerock Ranch, c. 1950, 255 Rockridge Drive
Movie stars and directors stayed at Ellinger's Saddlerock Ranch during the filming of many 1940s and 1950s Westerns. Ellinger leased horses to film crews. Ties to Barry Goldwater family. Unique contemporary example of vernacular ranch style red rock structure using large expanses of glass.
Van Ess House, 1964, 280 Zane Grey Drive
This home was one of the first built in the 231-lot Sedona West subdivision, developed and platted in November 1960 by Edith and Jim Geary. The home was designed for the Gearys by Donald Theodore Van Ess, a licensed Arizona architect. The home was one of several featured in the subdivision’s marketing brochure that described Sedona West as “Arizona’s Finest Subdivision in the West’s Most Colorful Country”. The significance of the home is based on the Gearys’ contribution to the community, Van Ess’ body of work, and the striking and timeless design of the home itself. It is considered to be one of Sedona’s finest examples of mid-century modern design.
Williamson House, 1953 or 1955, 340 Smith Road
One of the first homes built in the “Sedona Subdivision” developed by Earl and Leah Van Deren and recognized as Sedona’s first subdivision. Dr. Williamson was retired and had an informal medical practice in his garage. This home is an excellent example of the vernacular architectural style of Sedona homes built in the 1940’s and 1950’s.