Information & FAQs


Community Development Department

Looking for something in particular, or have a question? Learn more below and click a link for more information. Visit us in person at 102 Roadrunner Drive, Building 104 in Sedona, Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

A  B  C  D E FH I J K L  MO  PR  S T U V W X Y Z

Building Permits –  Go to Building Permits
Submit an online request for a Building Permit Inspection

Business - Go to New Business ChecklistBusiness license or Opening a business in Sedona

City Codes – Go to the City Code or Land Development Code
Citizen Assistance - Send us the Citizen Assistance Form if you have a question, concern, or request for information.
Colors – See Paint Colors below
Community Focus Areas - Go to the CFA Page 
    Soldiers Pass Road CFA
    Western Gateway CFA
Community Plan - Go to the Community Plan
Q. What is the Sedona Community Plan?
A. Sedona’s Community Plan is the City’s general plan required by state law. It is a statement of community goals and development policies used by the City in making decisions regarding new development, formulating new regulations and ordinances and in making decisions on priorities and funding for planning programs and infrastructure and facility construction. It is a Plan defined and guided by extensive community participation.
Complaints - Go to Report It! to submit a report; go to the Code Enforcement webpage; call the hotline 203-5000, or call the Code Enforcement Officer at 204-7114. You may also send us the Citizen Assistance Form if you have a question, concern, or request for information.
Construction Hours
Q. What are the hours for construction activities within the City of Sedona?
A. Generally construction activity is allowed from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm Monday through Saturday with a valid building permit. During these hours construction activities are exempt from Sedona sound regulations except for national holidays.
Construction Inspection Hotline:
(928) 282-3268
Contact Information – Community Development Department Staff Contact Information
Current Projects – Go to Planning & Zoning; or Current Projects

Design Review Manual – Go to Land Development Code, Article 10

Economic Development - Director of Economic Development, New Business Checklist

Fees - Go to Fees

Historic Preservation Program 
Go to: Historic Preservation ProgramHistoric Landmarks, Historic Preservation Commission, Historic Preservation Ordinance, Article 15 of the Land Development Code.
Home Business
Q. Can I operate a business out of my home?
A. Home occupations are allowed if they meet certain requirements. For information regarding Home Occupations requirements, see Land Development Code, Article 6 or call (928) 282-1154.
Home Rentals - View the amended Short-term Vacation Rental Ordinance
Housing - Go to Housing

Land Development Code - Go to Land Development Code
Q. What is the Sedona Land Development Code?
A. Sedona’s Land Development Code (zoning ordinance) regulates land uses within the Community. It assigns each piece of property to a “zoning district” which describes the rules under which that land may be used. Each zoning district identifies allowable uses and sets standards such as minimum lot size, maximum building height, and minimum front yard depth.
Land Use and Population Status Report
Lighting – See Outdoor Lighting below
Liquor Licenses for Special Events - Go to Permits

Main Street Guidelines – Go to Land Development Code, Article 19
Monthly Reports - View all Monthly Reports for the Community Development Department

Ordinances – Go to City Codes - Ordinances 
Outdoor Lighting - Under the Land Development Code, Article 9, Development Standards, Outdoor Lighting Code

Paint Colors - Go to Land Development Code, or view excerpt of Article 9, Section 904 Color
Q. What colors can I paint my house?
A. The City does not regulate what specific color you can paint your house, however the City does regulate the light reflective value (LRV) and chroma (intensity) of the colors that you can paint your house. Before painting your home and for information on paint colors please call (928) 282-1154.
Permits - Go to Permits
Planning & Zoning Commission - Go to P&Z Commission
Q. What is the Planning and Zoning Commission?
A. The Planning and Zoning Commission reviews matters related to planning and development. This includes such things as amendments to the Community Plan and Land Development Code, specific plans, rezoning requests, conditional use permits, development review applications, and subdivisions.
Low Water Use Plant List - Appendix A of the Design Review Manual Article 10 of the Land Development Code
Political Signs
Population: Land Use and Population Report
Q. What is Sedona’s population?    A. 2010 Census: 10,031

Rentals – See Short-term Vacation Rentals below. 

Short-term Vacation Rentals - View the amended Short-term Rental Regulation. For more information contact the Code Enforcement office at (928) 204-7114.
Signs - Sign regulations - The Sign Ordinance is Article 11 of the Land Development Code.
Sign Permits – Go to Permits
Garage Sale Sign Information
Political Sign Information
Special Events - Go to Permits

Weed Complaints – See Complaints above or go to Code Enforcement
Wood Burning Fireplace Ordinance

Zoning – Go to Planning & Zoning

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.