Thank you for your help and commitment to maintaining Sedona’s beautiful neighborhoods and high quality of life. If you have any questions, concerns or need additional information about vacation rentals, please call us – your success is our success!  

Arizona law allows for homes to be used as vacation rentals (A.R.S. §9-500.39), which became effective on January 1, 2017 and often referred to as SB 1350 – the State senate bill that ended city prohibitions on short-term vacation rentals. On October 11, 2016, City Council amended the Short Term Rental Regulation (Chapter 5.25 of the City Code).

Definition: "Vacation rental" or "short-term rental" means any individually or collectively owned single-family or one-to-four-family house or dwelling unit or any unit or group of units in a condominium, cooperative or timeshare, that is also a transient public lodging establishment or owner-occupied residential home offered for transient use if the accommodations are not classified for property taxation under section 42-12001. Vacation rental and short-term rental do not include a unit that is used for any nonresidential use, including retail, restaurant, banquet space, event center or another similar use. -A.R.S. §9-500.39

What can be considered a vacation rental?
• Single-family houses
• 1 to 4 unit houses (duplexes, etc.)
• Condominiums, townhouses, cooperatives or timeshares
• Individual rooms within any of above

What cannot be used as a vacation rental:
• Unapproved, unsafe structures (garage, shed, etc.) that do not meet health and safety standards
• Apartment complexes of 5 or more units

Property Owner Responsibilities

  • Ensure the safety of the structure  
  • Tax License
  • Compliance

Neighbors’ Rights
• Unless otherwise prohibited by your Home Owners Association, your neighbors are likely allowed by law to engage in vacation rentals.
• The city does not enforce rules and regulations of Home Owners Associations. Please contact your association to inquire about those rules and regulations.
• Vacation rentals must comply with rules and regulations limiting noise, unsightliness and other nuisances similar to those that apply to other residential uses.
• If you are a neighbor and want to ensure the property is compliant with all applicable rules and regulations, or if you have specific concerns about noise, or other nuisances - contact the Community Development Department at (928) 282-1154 or report issues online using Report It!
• If the situation is suspicious or after normal business hours (Monday – Thursday, 7 a.m. – 6 p.m.), contact the Sedona Police Department at (928) 282-3100. In an emergency dial 911.