Animal control



Animal abuse or neglect

Neglect of an animal comes in many forms. Usually neglect is caused by owners not understanding their pet's needs. However, some owners neglect their pets because they simply don't care. Education, in many instances, helps solve the problem of neglect. Some examples of neglect are not increasing the size of the collar as the dog or cat grows, resulting in the collar growing into the animals skin and ultimately causing death. Not grooming a dog or cat, especially long-haired ones, leads to massive matting, which causes sores and terrible misery. Another form is starvation, however this is not just caused by lack of food, but by improper food, untreated disease, and parasites.

Abuse is more immediately recognizable. Choking, cutting, dunking heads under water, setting on fire, kicking, hitting repeatedly--these are definite acts of abuse.

Always report any abuse or neglect situation to the animal control officer for investigation. Evaluate the situation and give as much information as you can when you call. For further information on animal abuse or neglect please contact Animal Control or the Humane Society for literature or videos.

Animal bites

Animal bites occur for many reasons. Whatever the reason may be, if you are bitten by a dog, cat, or wild animal contact animal control. The animal will need to be quarantined or tested for rabies. Rabies can effect all warm blooded mammals (including humans) and is always fatal. It is Arizona state law that an animal bite be reported to your local Animal Control or law enforcement agency. (ARS code 11-1014 D)

If bitten by a wild or domestic animal seek medical attention and contact animal control. Animal Control will need all information possible about the animal, including the animals location, and the owner if there is one.


Dogs barking naturally to alert their owner is acceptable. However, some dogs can get into the habit of nuisance barking. This can become a problem. Try to be aware of your dog's habits, and correct unnecessary barking. For assistance in controlling a nuisance barker, contact a pet supply store or your veterinarian for humane correcting devices. If you are having a problem with a chronic barker in your neighborhood, contact the Police Department (928) 282-3100.

For more information

If you have a question pertaining to the animal laws please contact the Police Department.

If you have a problem or would like to file a complaint about an animal problem please contact the Sedona Police Department and make your report with the dispatcher. If you are calling about a loose dog or a barking dog, it is best to call while they are out or barking, if at all possible.

Sedona Police Department
100 Roadrunner Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
(928) 282-3100
Sedona Humane Society
2115 Shelby Drive
Sedona, AZ 86336
(928) 282-4679
Arizona Game & Fish, Region 2
3500 South Lake Mary Road
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
(928) 774-5045

License and rabies

All dogs in the Sedona city limits are required to have a current rabies vaccine given by a licensed veterinarian and a current city license (City Code 6-1-2 A). Click for more details.

Removal of feces

When walking your dog on public walks, streets, recreation areas, and private property you are required to pick up after it. This is not only sanitary but your neighbors also appreciate it. City code 6-1-3 E

Restraint of dogs

All dogs must be contained/restrained at all times. Otherwise, your dog may be considered at large, even though your dog is in your yard. Your dog must be contained by a fence, (that your dog cannot get out of) an underground electronic fence, (that your dog adheres to), a chain or cable tie out/runner, or secured inside your home. When you take your dog for a walk it must be kept on a leash, (voice control does not count). There is no containment or leash law for cats. (City Code 6-1-3 A)

Stray animals

In the event that you find a lost animal, contact the Humane Society (928) 282-4679. Someone may be looking for that animal.

If you have lost an animal, contact the Humane Society and the Police Department's Animal Control Officer. You may also hang flyers, ask neighbors, and contact your local radio station to list a report with them (if they have a lost/found animal program). Always have a collar and ID tag on your dog or cat! They can't tell anyone who they belong to.

Tips to prevent animal bites

  • Do not approach animals you do not know, including domestic.
  • Do not handle injured wildlife, contact Animal Control or Game and Fish.
  • Do not get in the middle of an animal fight.
  • Don't bother an animal when it is eating.
  • To minimize your pets from getting bitten by domestic or wild animal, don't allow them to run free.

Wild animals

Contact Arizona Game and Fish at (928) 774-5045. Never feed wildlife.

For more information on reptiles visit: The Arizona Herpetological Association

The Sedona Police Department does perform snake removals, and they respond to domestic and wildlife emergencies.